- 1 cup Unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 2/3 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 4 tablespoons Linseeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Grated zest of oranges
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons Fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Insert 20 stadard muffin cups and fill the unused cups one-third full with water to prevent warping.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition until blended.
In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, linseeds, orange zest and salt.
- Using the mixer on low speed.
- add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in 2 additions, alternating with the buttermilk, then the orange juice and vanilla.
- Beat just until smooth.
- In a large bowl, using the mixer with spotlessly clean beaters on high speed or a balloon whisk, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Using a large silicone spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter until blended.
- Spoon the batter into each muffin cup, filling it three-quarters full.
- Sprinkle each muffin with some of the raw sugar.
Bake the muffins until golden, dry and springy to the touch; 20-25 minutes.
- While the muffins are in the oven, heat a syrup on high with fresh strained orange juice and caster sugar.
A toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the muffins cool for 5 minutes.
- Unmold the muffins and let cool completely.
- Baste the top of each muffin syrup with syrup using a pastry brush or alternatively make an orange flavoured icing with 225g icing sugar and 2-3 teapsoons of orange juice..
- Calories: 228
- Fat: 12.041409358567 grams
- Carbs: 23.814213955194 grams
- Protein: 7.046539399794 grams